2016/2017 Band Handbook
CLASS PARTICIPATION: The following grade scale FOR THE SEMESTER applies to any and all absences from class (including pre-excused field trips). When you are absent you FAIL to participate:
0-3 absences A
8-9 absences B
14-15 absences C
4-5 absences A-
10-11 absences B-
16-17 absences C-
6-7 absences B+
12-13 absences C+
18-19 absences D
20 absences or more results in a failing (F) grade
- Block Days count as 1.5 days on the Class Participation scale.
- Tardies must be cleared by a pass from a teacher or administrator to be excused. Following the first two combination of unexcused tardies or hall passes, every additional two will count as an absence on the grading scale. You are marked tardy if you are not in your assigned place, music and instrument ready, two minutes after the bell rings. Daily listening normally start each day two minutes ahead of the bell that starts the class period.
- If you are asked to leave the class due to misbehavior, you will loose the participation point(s) for the day.
PERFORMANCE / CLINIC / EXTRA REHEARSAL PARTICIPATION: All Performances and Events away from campus which are scheduled at least six weeks in advance are required as they represent Major Exams in band class:
Request for absence from a concert / off-campus event may be considered if turned in at least two weeks in advance of the event. An alternate assignment may be made if the request is approved. If you are seriously ill during the day of a concert, you MUST CALL OR EMAIL IN ADVANCE. Illnesses not phoned/emailed in advance will NOT be considered an excused absence. You may be asked to confirm the absence by presenting a parent’s and/or doctor’s note upon return to school.
- An Unexcused Tardy from a concert / Off-Campus Event will count as one participation point for every 10 minutes you are late.
- An Unexcused Absence from a Pep Band game or non-performance event (clinic, dress rehearsal, etc.) will lower your final grade by one full letter.
- An Unexcused Absence from a Performance will lower your final grade by two full letters.
Tardies to events outside of class time due to other school activities (i.e. sporting events) are excused (no grade penalty incurred) if the teacher is notified IN ADVANCE.
WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS / PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS / QUIZES: This includes in-class work as well as homework:
- Written work and performance evaluations together will be worth a total of two letter grades in Band.
- There will be at least one written assignment, to be turned in via Schoology, each calendar month from August through May. These will typically be YouTube performance assessments, but may differ per direction of Mr. Ahrens.
- This does not include Practice Logs.
PRACTICE LOGS: As a member of a performance ensemble, it is expected that you will practice daily outside of class rehearsal. It is your personal responsibility to yourself, the other ensemble members, the composer, and your audience to do all you can to achieve and maintain a high level of musical excellence and professionalism.
- It is recommended that you practice a bare minimum of 1/2 hour per ensemble that you are a part of, daily.
- Practice log sheets are used to reflect upon your process, success, and additional work needed during individual practice time. Viewing your practice logs over time will demonstrate your progress as a musician in a way that you might have dismissed without this reflection.
- Practice logs are not for recording the length of time that you practiced. I would rather you get lost in the music that you are making than be watching the clock. Life is too short to spend it making uninspired music while watching for the pot to boil.
- Completed weekly Practice Logs are worth a total of one letter grade.